Colombia Luis Anibal Calderon Washed Pink Bourbon
This microlot is 100% pink bourbon and is unique because of its growing conditions and the dry anaerobic fermentation process.
Luis’s washed process pink bourbon is unique because of the environment it was produced in but also for the use of the dry anaerobic fermentation process. Dry anaerobic fermentation is a process which restricts the oxygen flow during fermentation providing a controlled environment which can be monitored by Luis.
At the beginning of this process, only the ripest cherries are put into a GrainPro bag for 22 hours to optimise fruit notes. They are then de-pulped by a machine before being put back to the GrainPro bag for another 18 hours - this second stage optimises
the body and complexity of the coffee.
Once the coffee has gone through fermentation it is then washed in a tank using fresh natural spring water that is full of minerals and helpful bacteria. Beans which float to the top, Floaters, are removed and the muscilage is separated, producing
a clean washed coffee.
The beans are then dried on a raised bed made up of bamboo and plastic cover, rotated 4-5 times a day, for 13 days straight. This unifies the moisture content and allows for consistent drying which contributes to the clarity and consistency of the coffee.
We roasted this coffee with a shorter drying time to retain acidity and prolonged the Maillard reaction time to caramelise the beans, adding sweetness and body to compliment the acidity.
The end result is a unique pink bourbon with clarity of flavours, consistency in quality, and body.
We hope that you enjoy the coffee!
Flavour Notes: Pink Grapefruit / Cane Sugar / Cinnamon / Cacao Nibs
- Origin: Colombia
- Region: Acevedo, Hulia
- Farm: Finca Villa Betulia
- Farmer: Luis Anibal Calderon
- Altitude: 1500 - 1600 masl
- Crop: 2019-2020
- Cultivar: Pink Bourbon
- Processing: Washed with Dry Anaerobic Fermentation
- 20g in, 300g water @ 87 degrees
- Pure water 0.33 ppm and the PH 6.6
- Pour water in with 5 intervals
- 0:00 - 0:15, Pour 55g water
- 1:00 - 1:15, Pour 65g water (more sweetness by adding more water at second pour)
- 2:00 - 2:15, Pour 60g water
- 3:00 - 3:15, Pour 60g water
- 4:00 - 4:15, Pour 60g water
- 19.5 g in, 45g out, 28-30 secs. @ 94 degree
For more information, please check out our video link below: